Best Vitamins for Kids
Vitamins for children can be a great easy way to ensure your child is meeting their nutritional needs. Although in general, a child who eats a healthy and well-balanced diet may not require supplementation. There may be some exceptions to this, such as those who follow a vegan or vegetarian diet, have diseases which impact absorption (such as IBD or celiac), or are picky eaters that struggle to eat a variety of foods. Otherwise, you may want assistance with boosting the immune system for starting school. Or, for general protection, or improving brain power for better concentration!
Either way, when it comes to vitamins for kids, it’s important to consider a few things.
- Quality, safety & ingredients: above all else, when supplementing a child it is important to ensure all products are safe with high quality ingredients. We look for vitamins that are free of fillers, artificial flavours, food dyes and preservatives.
- Dosage: always follow dosage instructions of the product you are supplementing. Unless told otherwise by a health professional who knows your child. Choosing products that are specifically formulated for children ensures that they do not take too much which can lead to serious adverse effects.
- Safety: it is recommended that a child does not supplement above daily recommended intakes. This can change dependent on age, gender, size, growth and activity levels. Always keep vitamins & supplements away from children to ensure they are not snacking on vitamin gummies.
Best Vitamin C supplement for Kids
Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps to keep the immune system strong, and ensures strong bones and muscles. Recommended dietary intake for children is approximately 35mg/d (1-8 years old).
- Brauer Baby& Kids Liquid Vitamin C: This formula was specifically formulated for toddlers and kids to help the immune system. We love this product as it is 99% sugar free and contains no nasties (like artificial flavours and sweeteners). This is a well-dosed formula that utilises both nutraceutical and fresh-fruit sourced vitamin C.
- Amazonia Raw Wholefood Extracts Vitamin C: Amazonia have developed an incredible wholefood sourced vitamin C powder that can be taken by the whole family! Sourced from vitamin C rich foods such as sea buckthorn berry juice, acerola and Kakadu plum. This non-synthetic blend contains vitamin c plus phytonutrients that increase the bioavailability of vitamin C. Children just need to take half the adult serving suggestion.
Vitamin D is extremely important in regulating calcium for bones, and making sure that the immune system runs smoothly. We usually get most of our vitamin D from the sun, however, if deficient it may be important to supplement. For clinical deficiency (meaning your Doctor has confirmed), babies and children a recommended to take 400IU daily.
- Brauer Baby & Kids Liquid Vitamin D 400IU: This formula is 98.5% organic and can help to prevent vitamin D deficiency is sun exposure is inadequate. The formula is 100% sugar free, with no nasties, and can be used from birth and by the whole family!
Best Vitamins for Kids Immune System
Kids tend to pick up everything going around! If this sounds familiar to you, you may want to consider a daily booster for your child’s immune system. This is where important nutrients like vitamin C & D really shine, as well as zinc and many more.
- Nutra Organics Berry Immune: This is one of our favourite powders for immune protection for kids. The formula tastes delicious. So, it’s easy to sneak into smoothies and foods to ensure your child is getting immune supporting nutrients. It contains bioavailable Vitamin C, Zinc, Iron and Vitamin D from superfood sources such as berries, sea buckthorn, beetroot and shiitake mushrooms. There is no nasties, gluten or refined sugar.
- Herbs of Gold Children’s Immune Care: This tasty chewable tablet contains important nutrients to help support the immune system and relieve upper respiratory tract infections. Each tablet contains echinacea, acerola, vitamin C, vitamin D3 and Zinc plus other bioflavonoids needed for the extra boost.
Best Brain Vitamins for Kids
If your child struggles to concentrate and focus in class – i.e. they have the fuzzies – you may want to add a brain booster to their morning smoothie. Here you want to be looking for essential fatty acids (like fish oils, omega-3s), and antioxidants.
- Mavella Superfoods Brain Boost: This formula is a delicious powder that can be easily added to smoothies with a chocolate taste. It contains omega-3 from flaxseed and Chia and combines two plant proteins that together create a complete protein which is important for brain function. The Cacao from Peru and blueberry and kale provide extra antioxidant benefit. This formula is also great for gut health.
- Nutra Organics Choc Whiz: Boost brain and gut health with this new formula from Nutra Organics. Made from complete food sources, this formula has bioavailable forms of calcium, iron, magnesium, omega 3, prebiotics and probiotics. It will help boost cognitive function and energy whilst also supporting a healthy gut.
Best Multi-vitamin for Kids
- Fusion Kids’ Nutrient Ninja: This great-tasting multi-vitamin for kids contains 25 nutrients including vitamins, minerals, bioflavonoids, and more. This multi-vitamin contains iodine, and selenium for healthy growth and development, iron for cognitive development, and other vitamins that support growth, energy and appetite. We love this formula because it also contains the herb ‘Zizyphus’. This is traditionally used in Chinese medicine to calm a child’s nervous tension as well as improving life force energy, known as ‘Qi’.
- Whole Earth & Sea Kids Multi Chewable: This formula contains therapeutic amounts of 29 vitamins, minerals and nutrients important for a child’s overall health. It also contains a blend derived from fresh rawplants, sea vegetables, sprouts, fruits and herbs, mostly grown on a certified organic, non-GMA farms.
Powders for Diet improvement
These ones go out for the picky eaters! Sometimes, no matter how hard you try to hide veggies on a plate, your child won’t have anything. If you’re concerned they may not be getting enough foods in their diet, powders like these may help. You can add these powders to anything – smoothies, juices, purees, over popcorn, into pasta sources and soups.
- Nutra Organics Veggie Hero: This formula contains 15 veggies, fruits and super greens that add up to 18 bioavailable minerals and vitamins sourced directly from wholefoods. This formula contains no nasties or refined sugars and is made for a child’s (picky) taste buds.
- Mavella Superfoods Veggie Boost: This formula contains 10 veggies and 5 superfoods (such as spirulina, wheatgrass, and chia). It contains a vast array of nutrients and complete proteins that can be added to savoury baking and into spaghetti bolognaise or juice.
Vitamins and powders for kids can be a great way to ensure your child is getting all the nutrition it needs, and assist in reducing colds, and encouraging healthy development. It’s important to always speak to your family health professional before giving your child any new supplement and to always read the label. If you would like more information before buying, please give us a call on (07) 5532 2069.